John Brzenk - Training

john-interview-training


John, what did you mostly focus on in your training during your first years in the sport?

- I didn’t have a plan for training in the early years. I simply loved the sport and wrestled anyone and everyone that I could get a hold of to get better. In the early years I would wrestle almost every day, sometimes twice or three times through out the day… My right arm was always aching from the pressure I put on it. But I was young and getting strong just by doing and getting older.
I messed with some weights, but at that time it was very light workouts using the Nautilus overall body program 12 rep with only one set. I don’t think it was the key for my strength for the Armwrestling table.


What would you say are the biggest differences in how you train nowadays and how you trained back in your younger years? Have you found a workable concept that you stick to all the time now?
- I learned as I progressed that armwrestling every day was beginning to hurt more than help so I progressed to doing less and less with more rest as I became older and stronger… Still in the early years I could wrestle up to 2 or 3 times a week but I eventually graduated to pulling just once a week, and that is what I currently like to try, and maintain.
john-holger89
Holger Krekola (SWE) and John in 1989.

Yes for the most part this approach still works for me there are some weeks now that I will skip a week electing to pull once every two weeks.


What is your training philosophy as to which muscle groups that should be focused on, and which intensity do you prefer in your gym training?

- My intensity in the gym still steams from my early years lifting Nautilus equipment. I would consider it very light with only one set for each body part with enough weight to lift for 10 to 12 reps.

The power lifts come on the Armwrestling table. I don’t do the same thing every time. Sometimes I’ll start my practice working on a fresh hook…while other times I will concentrate on the hand and wrist top rolling. Armwrestling practice typically last about an hour so I can work all the angles in this amount of time trying not to over work any one direction.

john-training3
john-training4
john-training5 john-training6
John showing different techniques.


When you train at the gym, approximately how long are the sessions?

- Less than one hour.


Are you doing many exercises for the different muscle groups or just a few effective ones?

- I am not a body builder that wants to look impressive.. I lift to help heal and support the smart muscles I have trained by Armwrestling. I don’t put a huge amount of effort in the gym.

john-devon1-training
john-devon2-training
Devon and John pracitcing in February 2010.
 
What do you prefer - free weights or machines and cables?

- I prefer the machines and cable systems over the free weights … I like the feel of the machines and can concentrate putting more effort without worry of dropping or twisting something because I can’t control it.

Cables seem to simulate better Armwrestling angles than gravity does for free weights.


Do you train any certain exercises specifically to strengthen your fingers and wrists?

- Cardio in the forearm is VERY important … finger strength and hand squeezing strength really isn’t that important for effective Armwrestling… but I will work light hand grippers with very high reps to build the cardio in the forearm.

john-bill-straps95
Bill and John at a practice in 1995.
Could you mention a couple of exercises in addition to armwrestling that you consider particularly important for developing armwrestling strength?

- Well there is NO substitute for Armwrestling on a regulation table with a good support group of good armwrestlers. IF you don’t have this you will be at a huge disadvantage. It becomes very difficult to develop the wrist pronation and supination that is so important in wrestling on a machine or using weights in the gym.

The one thing I think that is close is the larger handled grips hooked to a overhead cable machine the pull downs and pulling across your body at different angles is a close simulation to the pressure put on the elbow shoulder hand and wrist.


What favourite exercises do you have in the gym and what exercises do you like to do the least?

- I like working my shoulders because they are so weak and are usually very sore from pulling.

I don’t train my legs.

john-grizzly1-training john-training2
Practice with California Armwrestling.

Which armwrestlers do you primarily train with these days now that your brother has retired and Kevin isn't that active anymore?

- There is a very good group of wrestlers in the Salt lake City area. For the last few years I haven’t had the guy that straight out of the box could put maximum stress on me.

Currently Todd Hutchings has moved into Utah… so I am hoping my body will be able to respond to some new horse power.


During your armwrestling trainings with your sparring partners, what do you do to get a really tough training that makes you exhausted, now when you happen to be as dominant as you are on the table?

- It’s amazing how strong someone is when they're fresh and you have had one or two hard matches. So it’s not hard to get a good workout with a few guys that are weaker than you are.


How do you divide your workouts between table time and gym training?

- Armwrestling once a week now.

Weight training depending on how I feel might be twice in a week but more often than not it’s just once mid week.


john-billspractisearea
John at a practice at his brother
Bill's place in the mid´90's.


What mental qualities do you think are important to become a successful armwrestler?

- You have to become confident and confidence comes from repetition.

dante-john
Dante Dall'Antonia and John in a hook at Vancouver Armwrestling's practice.

What forms of exercising do you prefer when you want to lose weight for a given weight class?

- Walking, lots and lots of walking, and of course less eating.


Do you do any changes in your training the last weeks before important tournaments, or do you keep training as usual?

- My last hard Armwrestling practice will be two weeks before I want to peek for an event.

I might mix in some light weight training up to one week before the match.


For how long do you usually rest before a tournament?

- 2 weeks.
john-patton-training2
John and Dave Patton at a practice in
January 2010. Photo: Alper Cosar.


Do you still feel that you learn new things in the sport, or have you reached the limit where you already know what there is to know?

- I have high and low points in my approach and I have to remind myself all the time about different strengths and styles of different wrestlers.

I have forgotten much more than I currently know.

And I always seem to be compensating because of some sort of injury.


If you could start all over again with your training and you could keep the knowledge you have today, what kind of changes would you have done in your training if the goal was to become as successful as possible?

- I wouldn't change a thing...other than maybe structure my armwrestling work outs better with a limited time in each area with more rest in between workouts ... in the early years I pulled too long and too often to achive maximum gains. and I put myself at risk for more injuries.

dariuszwisniewski-johnbrzenk
Dariusz Wisniewski (Poland) and John Brzenk.

devon-john
Devon and John. Photo: Vancouver Armwrestling.

Screeshots from Vancouver Armwrestling's YouTube channel and ARM TV (California training).

Връзки:
 
http://maine-armwrestling.com/banners/woa150-2.jpg

08.02.2011 - Мартин Николов

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар